Sunday, July 20, 2008

I Hate Ohio

I would apologize to those of you who are from Ohio, but the blood that flows through my veins would not permit such an action. And having spent an entire weekend surrounded by the foul scarlet and gray paraphernalia only makes it more certain that one won't be coming anytime soon. And don't even get me started on the speed limit. 65? Come on.

Aside from almost violently overturning the disgusting display of OSU merchandise at the neighborhood Cracker Barrel, I was actually able to suppress my anger quite easily. I have a few friends who were unlucky enough to have to live in enemy territory this summer, so I felt I should be on my best behavior whilst I visited. Also, I was sedated most of the time (insert laugh track). But, they were pushing my luck by making me go to Cracker Barrel to begin with. There's nothing quite like eating a great big pile of trash (Grits? Are you kidding me?) that has been dipped in lard and presented to you with a side screaming children and overpriced 'souvenirs.' It's a restaurant!!! This should not be the place where you get your porcelain strawberry napkin holders or fire-engine red rocking chairs.

This was a round about way to get to talking about wikis, but I feel as though everyone should know about the awfulness of Ohio. But, while in this 'state' I did have quite a few great discussions about technology in the classroom and particularly about wikis. And with my limited expertise, I was even able to convince a few of my friends that this whole wiki thing could be useful in the classroom. One of my friends particularly liked the 'modifying wikipedia' activity, and the more I think about it, the more I am falling in love with the idea as well. What better way to get kids involved in some historical event than to have them read about what is right/wrong about it's portrayal and then find information to support/discredit their position? I mean, this is advanced stuff! This is something that history majors are asked to do in college, but it is so readily transferable to the high school classroom via wikipedia.

And although I hope wikis play a prominent role in my classroom, I hope this does as well. Everyone deserves the pure, unbiased truth.

GO BLUE!

3 comments:

MGoDan said...

The only thing on this post I could disagree with:

"I would apologize to those of you who are from Ohio,..."

I wouldn't.

Fun fact: OSU didn't reject a single applicant until sometime in the mid 1990s. True story.

Chris and JJ said...

You forgot that Ohio smells funny too. Another fun fact: Michigan and Ohio fought over Toledo at one point. In the end, we got the beautiful and pristine U.P. and they got Toledo. Which turns out to be a great steal for Michigan.

Brenda said...

I once went on a road trip through Ohio that resulted in a "Top Ten" Reasons OHIO Sucks. Your blog made me laugh as I remembered how awful the trip was!